Fungal nail infections can be challenging to treat and can take a long time to resolve. While there are prescription medications available, some people prefer to try natural remedies first. Here, we explore natural anti-fungal nail treatments and their effectiveness.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is known for its antifungal properties and has been found to be effective in treating nail fungus. Apply undiluted tea tree oil directly to the affected nail twice daily for several months for best results.
- Garlic: Garlic has antifungal properties and can be used topically or orally to treat nail fungus. Crush fresh garlic and mix it with olive oil, then apply the mixture to the affected nail twice a day for several weeks.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is acidic, which can help kill fungal infections. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water and soak your feet for 30 minutes a day for several weeks.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains caprylic acid, which has antifungal properties. Apply coconut oil directly to the affected nail twice daily.
- Baking soda: Baking soda can help prevent the growth of fungus. Mix baking soda and water to create a paste, then apply it to the affected nail and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
While natural remedies can be effective, they may not work as quickly or as thoroughly as prescription medications. It’s important to keep in mind that natural remedies may also have potential side effects or interactions with other medications. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new treatment.
Related: Fungal nail treatment